BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] restoring a tape backup

2008-12-23 18:55:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] restoring a tape backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: raytodd AT kiva DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:54:19 -0600
Ray Todd Stevens wrote:

> OK I have the system so that I can save an archive off to tape.  (select the
> tape
> host -> start an archive --> select the hosts to be archived --> press the
> start
> button at the bottom of the page)
>
> But if and when I need to recover the data that is on that tape how do I do
> that?

You'll end up with a normal tar archive, so the restore would be the
same as if you had created a tar tape directly.

> After all a backup is only as good as the restore procedure.

You can use something like 'tar -tv /dev/tape' to check the tape files,
-xv to copy them into your current directory.  Add 'z' if you used
compression - you might need a blocking factor, depending on the tape
type.  In a real disaster scenario you'll work from a bootable CD or do
enough of a system install to have the tape working and a place to drop
the files.  Note that if you still have access to the backuppc server
you can also run Backuppc_tarCreate via ssh to get a tar stream over the
network instead.

I've never put more than one host on a tape so I'm not sure what is
involved in separating them if you do.