BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Q: new install of BackupPC, rsync backups of linux clients -> odd exit 'error'

2008-12-18 08:50:13
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Q: new install of BackupPC, rsync backups of linux clients -> odd exit 'error'
From: "Tim Chipman" <tchipman AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:45:44 -0400
Hi,

I'm in the process of a clean install of BackupPC (latest version) on
a CentOS 5.2 system, to backup a pool of 3 machines (the BackupPC
machine itself is a fileserver with ~500gigs of data presently to be
backed up; then 2 other linux servers with small assorted homedir data
to grab)

Initially I had configured backups via tar, and this seemed to work as
expected / desired; but I understand that rsync is considered superior
approach to backups for BackupPC on linux, so I tweaked configuration
to use rsync.

With this in place,

* I can't get a "full backup" to complete and exit cleanly - they
always give an 'error' which is rather confusing (see pasted below an
example)
* it appears to be considering the backup a 'partial' due to an ?error
state? in the rsync exit status
* however all my files appear to be backed up, and the disk footprint
is consistent with this.

I'm curious if anyone has comments on what could be causing this
(rsync configuration / parameters possibly ?)

Initially I thought it was maybe due to different scheme for
'backup-pc side' data storage - so I flushed entirely the backups of
my systems that were generated via Tar - and started with clean slate
for the rsync jobs - but this had no impact... so it wasn't any kind
of issue like that.

Comments or suggestions are most welcome.  (Help is greatly appreciated!)

Thanks,

Tim Chipman

---paste---
this is capture of XferLog.bad.z for one of the 2 linux machines being
backed up via rsync.

take note of the "backup aborted ()" error on second-last-line ....

Contents of file /iscsi2/backuppc/pc/cluster/XferLOG.bad.z, modified
2008-12-18 06:07:29 (Extracting only Errors)

full backup started for directory /export/home
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l backupuser cluster sudo /usr/bin/rsync
--server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
--hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
--checksum-seed=32761 --ignore-times . /export/home/
Xfer PIDs are now 8222
Got remote protocol 28
Negotiated protocol version 28
Checksum caching enabled (checksumSeed = 32761)
Xfer PIDs are now 8222,8229
[ skipped 13416 lines ]
Done: 12826 files, 15858282948 bytes
Backup aborted ()
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
prior one (got 12826 and 12826 files versus 12826)