BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] CentOS 4.7 suid fails repeatedly with BackupPC

2008-12-17 14:13:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] CentOS 4.7 suid fails repeatedly with BackupPC
From: "Jim McNamara" <jim.mcnamara AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:11:20 -0500

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com> wrote:
Jim McNamara wrote:

> Thanks again for everyone's help, I'm a longtime lurker on these boards,
> and I was quite pleased to have support when my usualy install
> conditions were thrown out!

I'm still curious about the real cause of your problem, though.  I
revived an old vmware image of Centos 4.x, updated to 4.7, then
installed a backuppc 3.1.0, taking defaults from the configure.pl script
for about everything except putting the cgi interface in
/var/www/cgi-bin and images under /var/www/html/backuppc, and the only
thing it took to make it work was changing the group of
/var/www/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin to apache and then making it suid again.

That is also how I did it, once the issue I had with setuid were solved. I chose more Debian-ish directories (/usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin), but that is more or less how I did it.

It does have httpd-suexec installed but it isn't complaining.  Is your
backuppc user id below 500?  That could have been a problem - the
default suexec configuration sets 500 as the minimum uid to permit.
Below that is reserved for system ids and the system tools like
'adduser' should start at 501.

I had thought about that. My initial install had user/group backuppc both as 150, then I upped both uid and gid to 1012, still the same problems existed. Maybe something was messed up by moving uis/gid around? It is functional now with both uid and gid set to 1012.