BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] setup difficulty

2008-12-13 08:29:46
Subject: [BackupPC-users] setup difficulty
From: Lofton H Alley Jr <nobodie0 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:27:49 +0800
Its been a small struggle with slow progress. I am stymied over this one
though.

Here is the network layout: two desktops and a lappie on wifi. This
should be easy right? One deskie has an 80 GB primary and a 320G storage
HDD divided into 3 partitions. The other deskie has an 80 GB primary and
a 1TB storage partitioned into 4 parts, with the largest (500GB) for
Backup.
Everything is running Ubuntu 8.10 and is pretty stable. The drives are
all networked with nfs file sharing so that the /home partition on the
80GB drives and all the partitions on the storage drives (except the
backup partition which I have set up as described below) are shared
through /media folders on the host deskie and then fstabbed to a
/home//whatever/ folder on the various systems. This brings them up on
the Desktop of each computer as a volume.

The backuppc setup seemed pretty straightforward to me, but I
immediately found that I am lazier than I thought and had to fix some
stupid syntax stuff on setup which tired me out (do you know the
feeling?). After working through those issues I hit on some problems
with setting the /media/backup partition as the backuppc partition and
found out a way to fix that through the documentation. What I did was to
mount the partition in the default folder in the setup, which seemed to
resolve that problem on setup.

What it is sticking on now is that it cannot setup the LOG file in the
default location. I'm upstairs now and that box is downstairs in my
daughter's room, so i can just say that i got the same error message
with the default folder and also when I changed it to my Ubuntu standard
/var/log folder. The error refers me to the perl script , line 1184 (as
I recall) which is , sure enough, some lines about the LOG files, STERR
and STOUT and the error message that I got. What the error message says
is that the program cannot set up the /var/log/LOG file and so must shut
down.

Now, the /var folders are mostly owned by root and so there is not much
to do with that, I switched back to the /usr default, but it makes no
difference. It is my guess that there is another error that is calling
to be written to the LOG but it can't maybe because of the same error.

anybody that can help would be thanked and appreciated. I am in China
and so I have a different schedule from other people and sometimes can't
reply in a timely fashion, but I will get this worked out , thanks(in
advance) for all your help