BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc on the same (server) system?

2008-12-11 16:00:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc on the same (server) system?
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:58:19 +0100
Glassfox wrote:

> 1. Where can I define the backups destination path? I want to use an
> external USB drive for this.

The installer asks for the TopDir location. If you installed a
prepackaged version of BackupPC this location was decided by the
packager. It's probably /var/lib/backuppc in that case (at least I
hear that's what the Debian and Ubuntu packages use). You should be
able to mount your external USB drive as /var/lib/backuppc. Better
make sure BackupPC is not running when you do.

> 2. What is the right (host?) configuration if I just want to backup
> just everything (a copy of all existing files on disk)? I mean, what
> do I have to define for all this include/exclude/etc. parameters?

What kind of OS are you talking about? For a *nix machine you could
just backup /. If you want to backup everything, you don't need any
excludes. However, you probably don't want to backup everything, as
backing up /proc and /sys really doesn't make sense. The comments in
the default BackupPC config.pl also say:

----
For linux or unix machines you should add "/proc" to
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} unless you have specified --one-file-system
in $Conf{TarClientCmd} or --one-file-system in $Conf{RsyncArgs}.
----

Nils Breunese.