BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc on the same (server) system?

2008-12-10 14:42:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc on the same (server) system?
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:41:35 +0000

Hi,

To do this i recomend you the following:

make a copy of rsync to your backuppc bin directory

cp rsync /opt/Backuppc/bin

chown root:backuppc /opt/Backuppc/bin/rsync

chmod 750 /opt/Backuppc/bin/rsync

chmod u+s /opt/Backuppc/bin/rsync

then in the host backuppc config change the line that specifies the $rsync path and change it to /opt/Backuppc/bin/rsync

in the host backuppc config change the line that specifies the copy/restore comand erasing everything till the var $rsync

what can you achive with this?

well you'll have a much faster/efficient backup because you are not encryting all the information for your localhost host. has you are local you won't need to have a tcp and security layer involved in the end you backup can run about 4-10 times faster depending on your cpu/memory.

you may think this is dangerous in a security perspective but just certify that no1 else belong to group backuppc other than the backuppc user.

Cheer hope I help a bit.

Pedro M. S. Oliveira

IT Consultant

Email: pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com