BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Another (different) timeout question for rsyncd

2008-12-09 12:21:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Another (different) timeout question for rsyncd
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:18:34 -0500
Nick Smith wrote at about 11:09:37 -0500 on Tuesday, December 9, 2008:
 > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky
 > <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
 > > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 15:50:45 -0500 on Sunday, December 7,
 > > 2008:
 > >  > Some of my WinXP backups occasionally fail with the generic LOG error
 > >  > message:
 > >  >              12:00:30 Started incr backup on mymachine (pid=4983,
 > > share=c)
 > >  >              13:03:54 Backup failed on mymachine (Child exited
 > > prematurely)
 > >  > and the more helful XferLOG.bad.z message:
 > >  >      ...
 > >  >      ...
 > >  >      Sent exclude: /WINDOWS/system32/config/systempprofile/NTUSER.DAT
 > >  >      Sent exclude:
 > > /WINDOWS/system32/config/systempprofile/NTUSER.DAT.LOG
 > >  >      Xfer PIDs are now 10851
 > >  >      Remote[1]: rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at
 > >  >      /home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.4-1/src/rsync-3.0.4/io.c(237)
 > > [sender=3.0.4]
 > >  >      Read EOF:
 > >  >      Tried again: got 0 bytes
 > >  >      Child is aborting
 > >  >      Parent read EOF from child: fatal error!
 > >  >      Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
 > >  >
 > >  > >From googling, it seems like the problem is due to an rsyncd
 > >  > timeout. This timeout seems to have occurred 63 minutes into the
 > >  > backup but before any (new) files were written.
 > >  >
 > >  > Currently I have timeout=600 set in my rsyncd.conf file.
 > >  > I could increase the timeout value, but I wanted to know what is the
 > >  > best way to do that?
 > >  > - Is it enough to just increase the timeout on the rsyncd server?
 > >  > - Is it better to set the timeout on the BackupPC server side?
 > >  > - Or would it be better to leave out timeout altogether from
 > >  >   rsyncd.conf and have it set elsewhere or by default?
 > >  > - Is there a way to handle timeouts more dynamically rather than just
 > >  >   picking a fixed number based on "worst" case or something?
 > >  > - What values are other people using?
 > >  >

 > > Removing the "timeout" line from rsyncd.conf seemed to solve my problem.
 > >

 > Whats going to happen if you get a stalled backup?  Will it just sit
 > there forever holding up your other backups?
 > I to get those errors, but my timeout is about 6 days (worst case) but
 > the error happens way before the timeout is hit.
 > Do you think your timeout was just too small of a window?

I'm not sure -- that's why I was asking for best practices here...
I assumed that the $Conf{ClientTimeout} = 72000 timeout will occur
first or that the windows machine would be rebooted (they don't have
long uptimes ;) or that I would either notice it or get an email from
backuppc.

But I am very open to input from those more experienced...