BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Causes of stalled backups with "fileListReceive failed" error

2008-12-05 12:41:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Causes of stalled backups with "fileListReceive failed" error
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:39:35 -0500
I have been finding the following intermittent problem when backing up
some of my WinXP machines.

The backup seems to stall for 12+ hours with nothing being written to
disk (i.e. no 'new' folder). When I dequeue the backup, I get a
"fileListReceive failed" error. (I imagine it would hang there until
the 72000 client timeout if I would let it).

Restarting the dump typically works.

I originally thought this might be due to the Windows machine being
rebooted or left offline but that is not the case.

Would a temporary internet disconnect be enough to cause the problem?
(sometimes I lose wireless signal)

What else could be the cause?

Note: I am running BackupPC 3.1.0 using rsyncd (without ssh) to backup
windows machines. I can verify that rsyncd remains running on the
client while rsync remains running on the server during such hangs.

Thanks