BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using perl code within config files

2008-12-03 12:06:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using perl code within config files
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:03:16 -0500
Craig Barratt wrote at about 15:21:58 -0800 on Tuesday, December 2, 2008:
 > Jeffrey writes:
 >
 > > Just as an FYI, it is possible to use perl code within config files so
 > > that you can use a single config file yet still customize
 > > configurations by pc (or groups of pc's) without having to duplicate
 > > changes across multiple relatively similar config files each time you
 > > change a parameter.
 > >
 > > For example, I have a number of windows machines and one linux server.
 > > For the windows machines, I use a single config file in
 > > /etc/BackupPC/pc and then create links to it for each of my windows
 > > machines.
 > >
 > > I then use perl conditional statements to make some configurations
 > > unique by pc (or group of pc's).
 > >
 > > The trick is that $ARGV[0] is the name of the config file (or link)
 > > called and thus can be used to determine the machine.
 > > Personally, I find this trick very helpful...
 >
 > Yes, a nice trick.  But there are two caveats:

OK. I am stumped by something here.
The "trick" works fine when running processes such as dump or restore.

But it seems to fail when the pc config file is read when going to the
Hosts web page. Specifically when I use the pull-down to go to one of the hosts
on my list, I can confirm that the host-specific config file is being
read. However, in that case the value of $ARGV[0] is *undef*.

I am stumped because the code in HostInfo.pm (which I assume is what
is called here) calls the same "$bpc->ConfigRead($host)" function
which I believe uses 'do' to read in the config file. I don't see how
the host-specific config file can be read without setting $ARGV[0]
unless it is being done some other way elsewhere.

Any thoughts here?