BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Junctions on WinXP

2008-11-26 18:28:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Junctions on WinXP
From: Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:26:33 -0500
Hi Jeffrey,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Does BackupPC know how to treat NTFS junction points.
> They are analogous to *nix symbolic links but only work on
> directories.
>
> Based on a little test, it seems like BackupPC does not know about
> them since it seems to have copied over all the data -- i.e. it
> treated the junction as a real directory rather than as a
> symbolic-type link. The attribute file also seems to treat it like a
> normal directory. Now to be fair, rsync does the same, so some of this
> may be an rsync artifact.
>
> Also, my understanding is that Vista introduced a notion of Unix-like
> symbolic links. Does anyone know whether they are treated properly by
> BackupPC?
> (I don't have Vista around to test but it would even be interesting to
> know how rsync treats them).

I'm not sure about NTFS junction points in general, but in my tests the
new Vista junction points broke rsync by recursively creating extra-long
pathnames. I wrote excludes that would get rid of all the ones Vista
creates for you. See this section on my BackupPC Windows guide for the
generic excludes:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html#Vista

Cody