BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How to Prevent Users Starting a Backup

2008-11-14 06:10:32
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How to Prevent Users Starting a Backup
From: <samk-01 AT ntlworld DOT com>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:08:12 +0000
Is it possible to stop a user from manually taking a full and/or incremental
backup?  I have tried setting $Conf{MaxUserBackups} = 0; but this does not
achieve the goal.

Why do this?  I have a network in which all user home directories are stored on
a dedicated file-server and therefore not stored locally on each PC.  The
backups of the file-server are conducted using the schedule facility of
BackupPC. This setup is working well.  To make it simpler for each user it will
be preferred if they were able to conduct only restores.

I am not a "coder" and anything beyond "commenting out" may be beyond my
ability.  However, if anyone has any simple suggestions I am willing to test
them.