BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] merge host from one pool into another pool

2008-11-13 04:57:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] merge host from one pool into another pool
From: Michael Kuss <MichaelKuss AT web DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:55:36 +0100
Hello,

historically, I run backuppc on two servers. One runs version 2.1.2 on
Scientific Linux 4.7, the other 3.x (can't check right now) on Fedora Core 7.
Both backup different sets of hosts. Some hosts are being backed up by both of
them (primarily laptops and one of the servers). Now, I would like to add the
FC7 server (called benz) to the pool of the SL4 server too, including the
history of backups.

How would I achieve this? My hope is that I just could copy the pc/benz
directory to the pc directory of the other server, and then use some of the
BackupPC_xxx scripts.  However, what I understood from the documentation is
that already BackupPC_dump checks if a file exists in the pool already. If the
file exists already, it creates a hard link, if not, it writes the file to
pc/hostname/NewFileList.
In a second step, BackupPC_link runs, rechecks if the files in NewFileList are
in the pool already (or meanwhile), and either just create only a hard link, or
also add the file in question to the pool.
Hence, my idea is to copy each backup, one-by-one, into the NewFileList
directory, and let BackupPC_link do the job. There are about 50 backups with
only 8GB in total, for the particular host.

So, my questions are:

1) is there a better way?
2) would it work as described above?
2) a) the file names in NewFileList are already mangled, or original?
2) b) what shall I do with the attributes?
2) c) what will happen with the backups file, and all the transfer logs?

Best regards,

Michael