BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there any way for BackupPC to restore hard links properly?

2008-11-10 12:40:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there any way for BackupPC to restore hard links properly?
From: Rich Rauenzahn <rich AT shroop DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:38:47 -0800

Craig Barratt wrote:
> This results in one subtle bug that can't be easily fixed: if you
> switch the Xfer method from tar to rsync, old backups that have
> hardlinks stored with tar won't be correctly restored with rsync.
> The workaround is generate a tar file and extract it, or switch
> the Xfer method back to tar before you do the restore.  The
> opposite case should work correctly.
>
> Craig

FYI,

If one does ever find themselves in the situation with a bunch of files
they need to re-hardlink, I found some great utilities to do that with:

Name       : hardlink
Summary    : Create a tree of hardlinks
URL        : http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/hardlink/
License    : GPL+
by kernel installation to dramatically reduce
           : the amount of diskspace used by each kernel package installed.

Name       : fdupes
Version    : 1.40
Summary    : Finds duplicate files in a given set of directories
URL        : http://netdial.caribe.net/~adrian2/fdupes.html
License    : MIT
residing within specified directories.