BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Is there any way to turn on checksum caching for the *first* transfer

2008-11-09 13:28:29
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Is there any way to turn on checksum caching for the *first* transfer
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 13:25:51 -0500
I know that checksum caching was primarily introduced to speed up the
comparison with existing compressed pool files.

However, it seems like we get for free a built in file md4 checksum
that can be used to verify data integrity.

Is there any user-configurable way to turn on checksum caching the
first time a file is transferred rather than having to wait until it
may or not be present in another backup?

This way if you ever have questions about data integrity, you can
always go back even years later to verify the files...

Also if I am understanding it correctly the "tax" is about 1% for
large files (20 bytes per 2048 block).