BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Tailing the XferLOG

2008-11-07 18:13:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Tailing the XferLOG
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 23:10:55 +0000
On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:30:13PM -0800, Rich Rauenzahn wrote:

> Kevin DeGraaf wrote:
> > Is there a way to tail the XferLOG during an rsync-over-ssh dump?
> >
> How about something like:
>
> mkfifo pipe
> tail -f --bytes=+0 XferLOG.z > pipe &
> BackupPC_zcat pipe

Well my problem is that XferLOG.z is zero length for a good long
time. Even after files have been transferred (as determined by running
lsof and strace on the remote rsync server) it is still empty.

I assume it is bufferend and written in such large chunks that is
isn't really that useful for following operations in realtime.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard
System Administrator