BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2 cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed content) but same zcatt'ed content?????

2008-11-01 19:56:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2 cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed content) but same zcatt'ed content?????
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:54:45 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 00:52:47 +0100 on Saturday, November 1, 2008:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-10-31 15:26:58 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
 > 2 cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed   content) but same
 > zcatt'ed content?????]:
 > > Les Mikesell wrote at about 10:27:20 -0500 on Friday, October 31, 2008:
 > >  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Is there a (reasonably easy) way of identifying which ones have the
 > >  > > rsync checksum seed and which ones don't???
 > >  >
 > >  > I think you are kind of missing the point that they could both be
 > >  > corrupted in other ways...
 >
 > I don't think these files as such are corrupted. They are decompressible (to
 > identical contents). I wouldn't trust the backup(s) as a whole - they may be
 > missing files for instance - but that's a different matter.

Exactly.

 > > I know but I would still like to understand this better since I am
 > > writing some utilities to clean this up (with the caveat being that it
 > > may still be corrupted)
 >
 > I admit that I am missing the point why you are going to the trouble, but to
 > answer your question: it doesn't matter. BackupPC will add the checksums at
 > the appropriate time (next backup, I'd say) if they are missing
 > (and enabled).
Well, I'm not sure why I'm going to the trouble except that I am
learning a lot plus I am writing my own scripts (which I will share
when done) to check and correct corrupted pools (which may be
necessary at some later point when I REALLY need it)

 > That said, I'd expect the version with checksums to be larger, because the
 > compressed content should be identical. Add to that the checksums in one case
 > and nothing in the other.

Is there anywhere where the specific format of the rsync checksums is
documented in terms of how they are computed and where they are added
to the pool files?

Thanks