BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Pool duplicates and corrupted backups

2008-10-31 01:17:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Pool duplicates and corrupted backups
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:15:12 -0700
Jeffrey writes:

> Types of Duplicate checksums:
> 1. Same checksum but contents differ -- INTENTIONAL - nothing to fix

Right.

> 2. Same checksum and compressed content
>                 I have found many of these but contrary to my earlier postings
>                 the ones that I examined were not in my error log so they
>                 don't seem to be due to the nfs/link problems (see later)
>
>                 I don't know what the source of these are though...

This could happen if there is ever a read error of a file in the
cpool.  Before linking to a cpool file (except when rsync is used
with checksum caching enabled and the checksums match exactly),
the contents are read, decompressed and compared to the incoming
file.  Any read error will cause the match to fail and a new cpool
file will be written.

> 3. Same checksums, different compressed content, same zcatted
>    content             As per my earlier email, I found at least
>    one of these             and am not sure why they even exist.

This can happen if one file has rsync checksums and the other does not.
This would happen after case 2 above.  The checksums don't get added
until the next time the file is read.

This can also happen since the mapping of file -> file.z is one-to-many:
there are many different ways to compress a file that all uncompress
the same.  But that shouldn't happen in BackupPC unless you change
the compression level.

> 4. Files with *NO* pool entries.
>                 This seems to be what occurs with the
>                 files in my error log that cite the failure of
>                 MakeFileLink

Yes.  There are cases when it just leaves the file there (below
pc/HOST/nnn) without linking to the pool.

> The deeper I probe into this, the more confused I get and the more I
> worry about data integrity on my system...

Look, you *do* have a data integrity problem, and yes, you should worry.

There is no further value in understanding symptoms from a relatively
filesystem-intensive application like BackupPC and working backwards.

You need to fix your hardware/software before using BackupPC again.

Craig