BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] nmblookup being invoked for hosts where backups are disabled (bug)

2008-08-28 19:56:28
Subject: [BackupPC-users] nmblookup being invoked for hosts where backups are disabled (bug)
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:56:14 +0000
Hi all:

We were having a weird problem with nmblookup firing for a host that
was disabled with:

  $Conf{BackupsDisable} = '2';

using BackupPC 3.1.0. The same thing happend when set to 1. My claim
is that BackupPC shouldn't be attempting to resolve any host with
BackupsDisabled set to 2, and it should not be looked up when it is
set to 1, unless a user explicitly requests that the host be backed
up. (I.E. it shouldn't be queued just because it's in the hosts file.)

The host was removed from DNS, so the fallback to nmblookup was
'expected' I guess, but not valid.

My workaround was to disable all nmblookups using:

  $Conf{NmbLookupPath} = '/bin/true';

in the main config.pl file since we don't have any windows boxes in
range of the backup servers. YMMV.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard