BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Chinese Characters Breaking backups

2008-08-22 06:03:03
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Chinese Characters Breaking backups
From: jhendry AT mintel DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:02:47 +0100

Hi Everyone, we are running BackupPC 3.1.0 in our Shanghai office and for every backup we are receiving the following type of error

"Remote[2]: file has vanished:  S/system32/D:/Filesystem/profiles/<User Name>/tool materials/??????.xls"

The file has not actually vanished as the server is never turned off, after checking the file it contains Chinese characters in its name which i believe is causing the errors.

Our BackupPC server is running on FreeBSD 7.0 and we are backing up from a Windows Server 2003 machine using rsync.  Is there anyway make BackupPC compatible with Chinese characters? Or is my problem something different entirely?

Jason Hendry
http://www.mintel.com
providing insight + impact

PS Discover and develop genuinely new ideas first with Mintel Inspire -
your global trends resource.

Preview our Trendscape and get on the fast track to productive ideation.
http://www.mintel.com/inspire/

London Office:
Mintel International Group Ltd (Mintel)
18-19 Long Lane
London
EC1A 9PL
UK

Registered in England: Number 1475918.
VAT Number: GB 232 9342 72

Tel: 020 7606 4533
Fax: 020 7606 5932

Chicago Office:
Mintel International Group Ltd (Mintel)
Floor 8
351 West Hubbard Street
Chicago
IL 60610
USA

Tel: 312 932 0400
Fax: 312 932 0469

Notice
********
This email may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. It
must not be used by, or its contents copied or disclosed
to, persons other than the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender immediately
and delete the email. Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the author, and do not
necessarily reflect those of Mintel.

No Mintel staff are authorised to make purchases using
email or over the internet, and any contracts so performed
are invalid.

Contact: info AT mintel DOT com

Warning