BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup large files

2008-08-21 18:37:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup large files
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Alan McKay <alan.mckay AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 00:36:24 +0200
Hi,

Alan McKay wrote on 2008-08-21 11:06:23 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup
large files]:
> 2G filesize is a limit of older LInux kernels.  But fairly old at this
> point.   Anything within the last couple of years should be 2.6 kernel
> which should not have this limit.   2.4 kernel did IIRC.

No, and no. 2.6 isn't *that* old. Debian sarge offered you the choice between
2.4 and 2.6, and was current about 1.5 years ago. Large files work fine under
2.4, though it might depend on the file system (or was that in 2.2?). My bet
is that he's using SMB. From memory, I'd say that is usually the problem,
though I didn't search the archives :-).

Regards,
Holger