BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.

2008-07-16 16:37:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.
From: Peter Nankivell <nanks AT bigpond.net DOT au>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:37:27 +1000
On Thursday 17 July 2008 00:46, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Peter Nankivell wrote:
> > No problems.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.  There were plenty
> > who did so unwittingly through their posts to other lists.
> >
> > As a measure of how happy I feel about the solution, my first successful
> > full
> > dump of this machine took 22 minutes compared to 137 minutes when I
> > had to use the "--whole-file" and "--bwlimit=500" rsync options.
>
> Did you run across anything that indicated that you should expect this
> problem on all similar NICs with that software version or do you think
> this is a quirk of your particular machine or settings?

I saw a few instances of people having problems with NIC's
that use the e1000 driver.  Some with non-specific problems
most referring to "TCP segmentation offload" not working.

Of course its not really a "card" its a chipset integrated onto
the motherboard, and there are a few versions of it I believe.

Why it was switched on on one machine running the same OS I don't
know.  As a mentioned the NIC's were slightly different models
of the same chipset, and the history of the OS's was slightly
different also.

Regards, Peter.