BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.

2008-07-14 15:27:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.
From: "Bruno Faria" <brunothebigb AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:27:19 -0500
As Bowie mentioned it could that BackupPC is chocking on some large file.

I tried to find where the backup is stopping by checking the errors Xferr log, but the file was too big to view in a web browser, since it contained a list of everything that was backed up, up to the point that the backups failed.

So I guess, I'll first try to split the backup and see if backups will work without any errors. If that does not work, I guess I can always try to do the backup via tar. :)

Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna try this out, and I'll reply later on how it went.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT buc DOT com> wrote:
Bruno Faria wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> This is the third message that I'm posting about this problem, but so
> far I haven't gotten any solutions.
>
> I'm getting the error message: aborted by signal=PIPE in some of the
> hosts that I'm backing up. Some hosts get this error while doing
> incremental backups, while other hosts get during full backups.
>
> I searched google about this error message, and it seems like many
> backuppc users have encountered this before, although I could not
> find any solutions.
>
> I'm starting to think that this could be bug in backupPC since many
> people have had this before but I haven't seen any solution.
>
> Please let me know if anyway knows of a solution to backups "aborted
> by signal=PIPE".
>
> Thanks in advance!

I hit this problem backing up a server with 300G of files.  The error
was fairly intermittent, but I noticed that when it happened, it always
stopped on the same file.  So I split the backup and did a separate
backup of the directory containing that file and I haven't seen a
recurrence in the last 2 1/2 weeks since I made the change.

--
Bowie