BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Re2: opening archive files in windows

2008-06-10 14:38:22
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Re2: opening archive files in windows
From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen AT ispro DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:38:58 +0300
Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:11:04PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>
>> I have created an bzip2 archive with split and it is in 2 files. However I
>> couldnt open the archive using winrar or 7zip. It looks like they are not
>> continuing from the 2nd file. How can I open an archive which is split on
>> windows?
>
> Simply put them back together. Split only does a binary split of a file.
> You could either use some tool like Total Commander or similar or simply
> the command prompt:
>
> copy /b part1 + part2 wholefile.bz2
>
> might work, I'm not sure though.
>
> Tino.
>
> PS: You couldn't "open" the parts on linux either, you'd need to
> concatenate them, e.g. cat part1 part2 | bunzip2 > uncompressedfile

Hi,

I used the af7 program to merge the files:
http://www.fauland.com/af7.htm

I could open the resulting file using winrar and 7zip (tried both) and created
backup.tar file. However, now I am not able to open the .tar file with winrar
or
7zip! There were no errors while opening the bzip2 file.

So what can be the problem now? Does anybody use archive with bzip2?

Thanks,
Evren