BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Howto request restores from User-home directories as User (Not as Administrator)

2008-06-04 18:23:38
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Howto request restores from User-home directories as User (Not as Administrator)
From: Kurt Tunko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 00:23:26 +0200
Hello Community,

I have some users that are using a samba server running on Ubuntu Server.
Each user has mapped to directories from the samba server on his client:

H = Users Home directory = /home/USERNAME
G = Group Directory, a directory that can be accessed by members in the same
group

The Users client PCs are backed with BackupPC and they can access the Web-GUI
using their loginname, so that they can do backups and restores for their local
client.

Ubuntu Server Login = Samba Server Login = BackupPC Login.

Today I got the obvious question how a user can make a restore from a file on
the samba share? Since the home and group directories are backed up on the
server, they can not do restores using "their" normal backuppc login.

What I would like to know, is if there is a possibility that a User can do
restores from the Server (Files on the Sambaserver) to his local Client.

Ex: User1 deleted a file two days ago on his samba directory and would like to
have it back - is there a way to do this without asking the administrator?

The only thing I came up, is to put the samba group-directoy in an own group
(config-file) and adding all members of the group as additional users in the
hosts file.
Unfortunately they would still be unable to access the backups from their home
directories :-/

Any other Ideas?

Best regards

kurt

Schon gehört? Der neue WEB.DE MultiMessenger kann`s mit allen:
http://www.produkte.web.de/messenger/?did=3016