BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I want run BackupPC 3.1.0 on root user

2008-05-27 09:36:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I want run BackupPC 3.1.0 on root user
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:35:56 +0200
Rob Owens wrote:

> Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
>> Rob Owens wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sam.  I saw that you have had some trouble with your Debian /
>>> BackupPC installation.  I have BackupPC running on a few Debian
>>> servers
>>> right now.  1 is Debian Etch, and 2 are Debian Lenny.
>>>
>>> On Etch, I did this:
>>> 1) apt-get install backuppc (this installs BackupPC 2.x and all
>>> dependencies)
>>> 2) apt-get remove backuppc (maybe use the --purge option to remove
>>> config files to, but I can't remember if I did that)
>>> 3) download BackupPC 3.0 and libfile-rsync-perl from the testing
>>> repository, and install using "dpkg -i <packagename>"
>>> 4) I think I had to correct some permissions that weren't correct,
>>> namely I had to "chown -R backuppc.www-data /etc/backuppc" (and I
>>> might
>>> have had to do the same thing for /var/lib/backuppc -- I can't
>>> remember)
>>
>> What are steps 1 and 2 good for? I'd do just step 3 if I wanted to
>> install BackupPC 3 on Debian Etch.
>>
> Steps 1 and 2 get you all the dependencies installed.  There are other
> ways to do it, of course.

Hm, doesn't apt have an equivalent of yum's 'yum localinstall'
command? If you enable testing then you I believe you should just be
able to apt-get install backuppc and get BackupPC 3, but you probably
jump through these hoops to keep the rest of the OS on stable and only
get BackupPC 3 from testing?

Nils Breunese.