BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync over ssh, non-efficient datatransfer

2008-05-26 17:03:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync over ssh, non-efficient datatransfer
From: Rejo Zenger <backuppc-users AT subs.krikkit DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:02:53 +0200
++ 26/05/08 15:50 -0500 - Les Mikesell:
>> I noticed this issue when I was adding 30 GB of static data to the
>> remote server. In the first night I saw a lot of extra traffic. But,
>> in the following nights I saw that same pattern again (a lot more
>> bandwith being used). As these additional 30 GB are static content, I
>> would expect all nights but the first to see limited amount of traffic.
[...]
>Do you have a complete full run? Incrementals should not transfer
>anything that was in the previous full, and subsequent fulls should
>only do block-checksum comparisons over the old files which takes some
>time but not a lot of bandwidth.

Yes, there is at least a full backup. As described above, when I added
the 30G of additional (and static) data, I can see a lot of traffic for
a longer period of time. There were no errors or anything similar. Then,
the next night, I can see exactly the same pattern in traffic. No
errors. Third night, same story.

--
Rejo Zenger . <rejo AT zenger DOT nl> . 0x75FC50F3 . <https://rejo.zenger.nl>