BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache

2008-05-24 16:55:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Admin displayed instead of executed on Apache
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Sam Przyswa <samp AT arial-concept DOT com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:54:50 -0500
Sam Przyswa wrote:

>>> If I don't use mod_perl the script BackupPC_Admin it don't start, only
>>> displayed into the browser windows.
>> That means you didn't configure it to run as a cgi script.  Most
>> distributions already have a cgi-bin directory somewhere with a
>> scriptalias or other config setting to make it execute programs. Just
>> put the BackupPC_Admin program there.  When running this way it needs to
>> be readable and executable by the apache's group (www-data?) and owned
>> and setuid to the backuppc user.
>
> There is the apache configuration for BackupPC without mod_perl:
>
> ServerName backups-xl.arial-concept.com
> <Directory "/var/apache2/backuppc">
> allow from all
> AuthName "Backups Externes Arial Concept"
> ####SetHandler perl-script
> ####PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
> ####PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/backups_users
> Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes IncludesNOEXEC Indexes
> MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
> require valid-user
> order deny,allow
> AllowOverride All
> </Directory>
> Alias /images/ "/var/apache2/backuppc/images/"
> Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes IncludesNOEXEC Indexes
> MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
> DocumentRoot /var/apache2/backuppc
>
> The BackuPC_Admin is on /var/apache2/backuppc and it's ONLY DISPLAYED
> without mod_perl not run, it's set as:
>
> -rwsrwsrwx 1 www-data www-data 3993 2008-05-24 18:35 BackupPC_Admin

The ExecCGI should make it work, but I'm not sure you want that set on
your whole document root.  Also, doesn't debian have some preset options
regarding a suexec docroot that may conflit with this?  Why don't you
just put BackupPC_Admin under /var/www/cgi-bin?

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/documentation.html#cgi%20user%20interface%20configuration%20settings

> I log as my account who set as user in hosts file (not moreUsers) but I
> have not permission to edit config ???

The per-host user/moreusers should have permission on individual host
setting.  The admin user/group can edit the main config and all hosts.

The linux permissions still apply - but to the configured backuppc user
if you have the suid cgi mode working.

>>> My previous config 2.1.2 running since 4 years don't work anymore with
>>> the 3.1.0.
>>>
>>> I prefer suppress security features, perhaps make it running as root but
>>> make it WORKING !
>> Doesn't debian hava a packaged version you can install with apt-get?
>
> Yes but it just install the 2.1.2 version.

I don't use debian but I thought it had a mechanism to add
different/newer repositories and one of them should have at least a 3.0
version.

>>> Please I have to backup my machine PLEASE.
>> Backups should run without the web interface if you set up the config
>> files by hand.
>>
>>> Please give me a patch or a way to make BpPC working on Debian, Apache2,
>>> and mod_perl (it don't work without).
>> You don't need a patch, you just need to configure apache.  And I still
>> recommend not using mod_perl.
>
> Ok but at this time as I already said BackupPC_Admin don't run even the
> ExecCGI is set for the directory, or tell me the RIGHT apache2 config
> file to make it running.
>
> Now I will try to use suexec apache2 feature to try to run BpPC ac
> backuppc.

See if you can execute scripts under /var/www/cgi-bin.

     les AT futuresource DOT com