BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] newbie backup strategy question

2008-05-21 06:15:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] newbie backup strategy question
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:14:56 +0200
Hi,

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:36:44AM +0200, Sebastian Perkins wrote:

> We are new to backuppc (migrating from an old DAT tape based system to disk
> based backup) and we have a question regarding full & incr backups.
>
> Our goal is to maintain 2 months of data off samba shares.
>
> We will be using the rsync option (better incremental possibilities). Is just
> using incrementals OK ? (which means the first save will be a "full"). Or do
> we need a "full" every month + incr every day just like on DAT (this amounts
> to about 1To). ?

Nils already wrote about the "full" backups with rsync. You need full
backups to make expiring work. Only full backups are expired, together
with their incremental backups. So I would suggest doing a weekly full.
Also note that because of the pooling in BackupPC, unmodified files are
only stored once. As an extreme example: If you've got an ISO on every
client, it will be stored only once on the backup server since pooling
works across all backups.

HTH,

Tino.

--
"What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de