BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Transfert BackupPC to an other machine (How ?)

2008-05-08 06:05:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Transfert BackupPC to an other machine (How ?)
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 11:37:17 +0200
On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:11:12PM +0200, Sam Przyswa wrote:

> > > We have to change our BackupPC server to a new machine, how to copy the
> > > entire BackupPC directory (120Gb) to an other machine ?
> > >
> > > I tried rsync, it crash after a long, long time, I tried scp but it
> > > don't pass the link and the dest directory become out of size after
> > > transferring about 50% of files...
> > >
> > > What is the right way to transfert a BackupPC with 120Gb of files ?
> >
> > An often suggested method is using dd and growing the filesystem
> > afterwards. This will probably be a lot faster as dd doesn't need to
> > know anything about the file structure and things like hardlinks.
>
> Yes but the the machines are on Internet not on your office, we have to
> do that over the net. I never do a dd over ssh !?

It would work like this:

oldserver# dd if=/dev/backuppc-filesystem bs=1M | ssh -c blowfish -C -o
CompressionLevel=9 newserver "dd of=/de/newfilesystem bs=1M"

(Of course, the filesystem has to be unmounted.) Later, you resize the
file system to it's desired size, e.g. resize2fs /dev/newfilesystem
Depending on the network connection between your servers, you might want
to skip the compression (-C and -o).

HTH,

Tino.

--
"What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de