BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up to NAS

2008-05-02 02:58:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up to NAS
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 08:58:01 +0200
Leandro Tracchia wrote:

> i am trying to backup the data to a NAS (Terastation). i've already
> read somewhere that the NAS needs to have a filesystem that supports
> hardlinks in order for backuppc to be able to do its thing. smb/cifs
> does not support hardlinks (as far as i know) so i cannot mount the
> NAS as a smb/cifs share. so i have two questions:
>
> in what filesystem should i mount the terastation??? (assuming that
> filesystem is supported by the terastation)....

I believe Samba actually does support hardlinks, but it's not a
filesystem. If you have a drive that is formatted as FAT32 for
instance, you won't get hardlinks, since FAT32 doesn't support
hardlinks. If your NAS supports NFS mounts, try that. People here
generally suggest to choose a local/external drive over a NAS: less
hassle and better performance.

> and do i simply just mount the terasation to /var/lib/backuppc/ ????

Sure.

Nils Breunese.