BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] List of serverMesg commands

2008-04-23 09:57:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] List of serverMesg commands
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: Mike Yates <mike.yates AT hawkgrove.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:55:35 +0000
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:49:32PM +0100, Mike Yates wrote:
> Craig Barratt wrote:
> > Sean writes:
> >
> >> Is there a backuppc command line reference anywhere?  I would like to
> >> write a script to disable backups on a host until the next wakeup.
> >
> > No, sorry it isn't documented.
> >
> > You should just look at the code to figure out the commands.
> >

> Is anyone working on this?
>
> There can't be that many...
>
> Maybe I'll find time one day...

Well this is what I have collected so far:

Run/schedule a backup on a single host.

    BackupPC_serverMesg backup HOSTIP HOST USER 0/1

schedule backup for a host now. 0/1 0 incremental backup, 1 full
backup. E.G.

   /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg backup host.example.tld
host.example.tld backuppc 1

The syntax to get status for a single host is:

    BackupPC_serverMesg 'status host(mail.test.com)'

Run (schedule really) nightly cleanup

    BackupPC_serverMesg BackupPC_nightly run

Dump some info. Pipe to perltidy as it is a nested data structure.
Not sure what it's actually dumping or how to use it or glean info
from it.

  BackupPC_serverMesg status info

Dump currently running (and maybe scheduled??) jobs. Looks like an
associative array with the keys set to the hostname or other service
jobs like " trashClean". Again useful to pipe through perltidy.

  BackupPC_serverMesg status jobs

List status of each host. State field will tell you if the host is
idle, backup is in progress...

  BackupPC_serverMesg status hosts

Start scheduling backups for all hosts

  BackupPC_serverMesg backup all

Stop/delay backups

    BackupPC_serverMesg stop HOST REQ_USER BACKOFF

HOST is the host to cancel, REQ_USER is the requesting user (just for
log purposes) and BACKOFF is the backoff time in hours.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard
System Administrator