BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Wildly different speeds for hosts

2008-04-14 11:26:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Wildly different speeds for hosts
From: Raman Gupta <rocketraman AT fastmail DOT fm>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:21:02 -0400
Raman Gupta wrote:
> I have three hosts configured to backup to my PC. Here are the speeds
> from the host summary:
>
> host 1:  24.77 GB,  14,000 files, 18.78 MB/s (slower WAN link)
> host 2:   1.27 GB,   4,000 files,  1.89 MB/s (faster WAN link)
> host 3:   4.82 GB, 190,000 files,  0.66 MB/s (fast LAN link)
>
> They all use rsync with the same setup, other than the exclude list.
> Backups are configured to run one at a time so there is no overlap
> between them.
>
> The speed of host 3 concerns me. Host 3 is by far the beefiest
> machine, and on the fastest network link of all the hosts, but yet
> backs up at only 0.66 MB/s (incrementals are even slower).

Ok, it seems that the number of files has a large non-linear affect on
the performance of BackupPC. I excluded a bunch of stuff from my host
3 backup, and the new stats are:

host 3:    4.2 GB,  85,000 files,  2.19 MB/s

For a file count reduction factor of 2.2, there was a speed increase
factor of 3.3.

Cheers,
Raman