BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error :- No ping Response

2008-04-14 09:10:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error :- No ping Response
From: Wayne Gemmell <wayne AT flashmedia.co DOT za>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:10:15 +0200
On Tuesday 01 April 2008 17:29:42 Les Mikesell wrote:
> kanti wrote:
> > Hie thanx for ur valuable reply , now every thing is fine . But when i am
> > trying to take a backup of client again that same error has occurred.
> > (Unable to read 4 bytes). The error is like as follows :-
> > full backup started for directory /
> > Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root scn-ws9 /usr/bin/rsync --server
> > --sender --numeric-ids   --perms --owner  --group -D --links --hard-links
> > --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . / Xfer PIDs are
> > now 11798
>
> What happens if you try to execute that exact command line as the
> backuppc user yourself? It should send some odd character as the start
> of the transfer protocol and wait - hit a control-C to exit.  If you get
> a password prompt or ssh error, you still don't have the keys set up
> correctly.  If you see some other text message it may be coming from the
>   login scripts on the remote side and causing trouble with the rsync
> protocol.

I have a very similar problem to Kanti so I'm going to finish where he left
off. The command is run pointing to a dhcp client. The nmblookup works but
the rsync command above fails because the IP address isn't passed from the
lookup to ssh. Do I then tell my server to do a nmblookup when searching for
the host name?

--
Regards
Wayne