BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync xfer error

2008-04-12 19:07:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync xfer error
From: Martin Leben <ml060223 AT leben DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 01:07:39 +0200
Daniel Denson wrote:
> Martin Leben wrote:
>>
>> Setting BackupZeroFilesIsFatal to 0 might be dangerous. It is configurable
>> for a
>> reason. Think about what happens in the following scenario:
>>
>> - BackupZeroFilesIsFatal is set to 0.
>> - On "/srv" you have mounted a disk or something.
>> - Suddenly the mount disappears due to you "fat fingering" the configuration
>> (remember that human errors are the most common errors) or faulty hardware
>> or
>> something else.
>>
>> Now when BackupPC comes along and wants to backup "/srv" it does that
>> without
>> complaining, even though it contains no files. Depending on the schedule and
>> retention settings you might have lost your backup completely. Especially if
>> this continues for some days/weeks and you don't notice it.
>>
>> So the recommendation is to leave BackupZeroFilesIsFatal at 1. Don't add
>> "/srv"
>> to the backup until there is data on it. If the client machine has other
>> directories you are backing up and if "/srv" is a dynamic mount that
>> sometimes
>> isn't used, I would recommend that you create a separate host alias in which
>> you
>> backup only "/srv".
>
> better to put a small token file in /srv so that it does not apear empty.
>
> echo "backuppc token file, please do not delete" > /srv/.backuppc_token

Hi Daniel,

The only thing THAT would accomplish is that one doesn't even have to set
BackupZeroFilesIsFatal to 0 in order to lose all files in the backup. Which was
precisely what I warned about.

<Tongue-in-cheek>
A know of a guy that use to say: "I would recommend all my competitors do this"
</Tongue-in-cheek>

BR
/Martin Leben
Ps/ Please don't change to top posting in the middle of a thread. /Ds