Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck hangs

2009-10-16 11:29:33
Subject: Re: amcheck hangs
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:05:06 -0400
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
wrote:
> posted there as well:
>
>> The admin there noticed that the time/date was off for one hour ... set it
>> via
>> ntpdate and from then everything worked without a problem. I can't explain
>> anyone?

Were the hangs more than an hour long?

When time is acting badly on a machine, *very* strange things happen.
We see this all the time on our automated-testing machines, which run
on VMWare and thus have clocks that sometimes run backward or forward
very quickly.  Just about any Amanda test that includes a timeout
fails periodically on these systems, sometimes spectacularly.

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com