Amanda-Users

Re: Allocation issues

2009-09-24 11:31:21
Subject: Re: Allocation issues
From: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:22:06 -0600
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:37:50 -0400
"Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Charles Curley
> <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com> wrote:
> >  dzur.localdomain     /home  lev 0  FAILED [dump to tape failed]
> >  taper: FATAL taper.c@616: memory allocation failed (1073741824
> > bytes requested) taper: FATAL writer: Syncpipe failure before start
>
> You're using in-memory splitting with a 1G splitsize, which is causing
> the memory allocation.  Check your splitting params (split_diskbuffer,
> taper_splitsize, and fallback_splitsize).  See the latest amanda.conf
> (http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amanda.conf.5.html) for improved
> documentation on these parameters.

Thanks. Since this is running on a fit-PC 1.0
(http://www.fit-pc.com/fit-pc1/fit-pc-1-0-specifications.html), with
229 MB of physical memory and 760 MB of swap, I reduced the two
splitsize values, from 3 Gb to 1 Gb, and 1 Gb to 200 Mb. I also made
more room on the holding disk. I also got rid of some cruft in the
offending DLE. We'll see what that does.

I also moved the split disk buffer directory to the amanda directory.