Amanda-Users

Re: very slow dumper (42.7KB/s)

2009-08-31 19:53:27
Subject: Re: very slow dumper (42.7KB/s)
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Tom Robinson <tom.robinson AT motec.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:40:55 -0500
Try looking on the client while the backup is running. Could be
any of a lot of things.  Network problems (check for errors on
the NIC and the switch port), lack of CPU to run the compression,
disk I/O contention, huge numbers of files (either in aggregate
or in a single directory), or possibly even impending disk failure
(lots of read retries or a degraded RAID).
   Looking at something like 'top' during the backup should give
you an idea of whether your CPU is overloaded or if you are always
waiting for disk, and if there is some other process(es) running
that may also be trying to do a lot of disk I/O.  Your system logs
should show if you are seeing disk errors, and the output of ifconfig
or similar will show the error counts on the NIC.
   If you don't see anything obvious at first, try running your
dump program (dump or tar or whatever Amanda is configured to use)
with the output directed to /dev/null and see how long that takes,
if that is also slow then it is not the network or Amanda. Then
try it without compression to see how much that speeds things up.

Frank

Tom Robinson wrote:

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673