Amanda-Users

Re: holdingdisk-setup for Ultrium/LTO-2

2009-07-30 07:59:17
Subject: Re: holdingdisk-setup for Ultrium/LTO-2
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:52:00 -0400

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Greets, amanda-users,

as I recently got myself an Ultrium 2 drive (at last ...) I wonder how
to optimize performance ...

Right now I only have the amanda holdingdisk on one physical SATA-drive
which seems to work out OK as long as there is no other I/O on that disk ...

The LTO is attached to a good old Adaptec 29160 controller (the only
scsi-device), the server is built around some Intel Prescott CPU (yeah,
kinda old ...) and runs gentoo linux (32 bit).

Right now there are 2 SATA-drives in there, both Seagate, one
ST3500320AS, one ST31000533CS.

The holdingdisk is an LVM2-LV formatted with xfs, the underlying
physical volume is a partition of the ST31000533CS.

I see speeds up to 22MB/s with amanda, but also consider the sound of
the tape-drive accelerating and decelerating could or should be avoided
... afaik it doesn't shoeshine but it doesn't always stream at constant
speed when other apps access the drives.

-->

What I would like to brainstorm:

I think about setting up a software-based RAID0 for the holdingdisk. I
have another ST31000533CS to substitute the smaller ST3500320AS, this
would give me the opportunity to do some shuffling and get a
holdingdisk-raid0 with 100GB or 200GB of size.

I assume the filesystem used for the holdingdisk won't matter as much as
the speed gained by doing the RAID0, so I would maybe just stay with XFS
for simplicity (good with big files ... no headaches ...)

Yes, I know, RAID0 means no redundancy but I would take the risk here ...

Additional q: Does anyone of you use some specific stinit.def for

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: Ultrium 2-SCSI   Rev: S63D
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI  SCSI revision: 03

raid0 for holding disk should be just fine.

any chance of going SAS or scsi?

does the adaptec have another inteface?

the minimum & maximum writing speeds can be drive dependent, but for LTO2 it should be 40 max and it might be 20 minimum. I would guess if you can keep it above 20 you won't get shoe shining. You're very close to that, but if you hit it, the drop in speed would be dramatic.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator