Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda's planning for use of holding disk space

2009-06-30 21:16:13
Subject: RE: Amanda's planning for use of holding disk space
From: "Onotsky, Steve x55328" <Steve.Onotsky AT broadridge DOT com>
To: "Chris Hoogendyk" <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>, "AMANDA users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:29:51 -0400
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
[mailto:owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org]
> On Behalf Of Chris Hoogendyk
> Sent: June 30, 2009 13:52
> To: AMANDA users
> Subject: Amanda's planning for use of holding disk space
>
> So, after 3 years of pressure and inadequate backups, my one
department
> that never has enough money to do anything has finally bought a tape
> library. I'm setting it up on the existing server, because they can't
> afford the other components to set up an Amanda backup server (even
> though I have a hand-me-down server with no disk drives).

My deepest sympathies...  I find myself operating that way far more
often than I care to admit  :)

> I've scrounged
> space on a few drives for holding disk space, but there's no symmetry
in
> size, and the smaller ones won't do for the larger DLE's.
> <....>

Why not save yourself a bit of trouble, and use LVM to take those
odd-sized disks, and just make up one big JBOD array?  The beauty of
doing it that way is, you can have one larger filesystem spanning the
multiple disks, and it's pretty easy to add more physical disk to the
array as money (or scrounging) provides.

Cheers

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.