Amanda-Users

Re: LTO4 amtapetype problem?

2009-06-12 12:27:46
Subject: Re: LTO4 amtapetype problem?
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <malin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:19:45 -0400
* Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu> [20090612 11:46]:

> Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not really an Amanda question but I'll try anyway...
>>
>> I can't get better than ~60MiBs to LTO4 tape when using amtapetype. I
>> tried 32k 1024k and 2048k, with and without hw compression enabled.
>> Any hints? I've added some info below. I can provide more upon request.
>>
>> Note that tapeinfo reports hw compression off but amtapetype says it
>> on. The changer web interface also tells me that the drive has
>> hardware compression off too. Puzzling.
>>

> Just an off-hand note, and I am not 100% sure it applies specifically to
> LTO4, but ...
>
> There was a detailed discussion on the Bacula list last year which
> concluded that a tape drive will respect the status of a particular tape
> regardless of what your settings are that you have configured the drive
> with. So, if you use a tape that was once written with hardware
> compression, it will continue to run that way.
>
> Try a brand new tape and see if it behaves any differently.

I'll give that a try.

> I'm assuming, of course, that you have also assessed all your hardware
> and software and concluded that it ought to be able to support a higher
> throughput to the tape.

Yes I did assume that. As I wrote to Dustin this host used to do
better than that with LTO3s, in fact I could have 2 tapers running at
the same time and get more than 60MiBs on *both* drives. But I want to
rule that out and will try with a box that I know gets ~100MiBs with
LTO4s.

regards!
jf

--
<° >< Jean-François Malouin          McConnell Brain Imaging Centre
Systems/Network Administrator       Montréal Neurological Institute