Amanda-Users

Re: Subtle problem with symlinks, scp and Amanda on Ubuntu

2009-06-02 13:07:36
Subject: Re: Subtle problem with symlinks, scp and Amanda on Ubuntu
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:30:55 -0700
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com> wrote:
> Since tar does not follow symlinks, the workaround is to tar the
> restored tree, copy that over, and untar it on the target.

I never use 'scp' for more than one file -- its -r mode is badly
broken (and it gets quoting wrong, but that's a different bug).

Here's the tar invocation I learned from Nick Russo lo these many years ago:

tar -cf - $files_to_copy | ssh $remote tar -xf -

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com