Amanda-Users

RE: How to define tape sequence

2009-06-01 16:33:12
Subject: RE: How to define tape sequence
From: "Hugh E Cruickshank" <hugh AT forsoft DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:53:29 -0700
From: Of Peter Kunst Sent: May 31, 2009 17:59
> On 06/01/2009 02:22 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> >
> > I have 5 tapes in slots 1-5 that I am attempting to use as set of
> > "weekday" level 0 backups (i.e. a full backup each and every weekday
> > night).
> >
> > When I created the DailySet1 I used the command:
> >
> >   amserverconfig DailySet1 --template tape-changer \
> >   –-tapedev /dev/nst0 --changerdev /dev/sg1 --mailto
> pgiadm AT forsoft DOT com \
> >   --dumpcycle 0 --runspercycle 1 --tapecycle 2 --runtapes 1
> >
> > However amanda.conf now has:
>
> Let me try to explain how amanda understand what's in your config,
> correct me if i'm wrong:
>
> >   dumpcycle 1 week
>
> amanda will try to do at least one full backup of every DLE (Disk List
> Entry) once a week.

I believe that I understand this but what I do not understand is that
while I specified "--dumpcycle 0" on the amservconfig command the
resulting amanda.conf file has "dumpcycle 1 week". I specified "0"
because I would like each tape to be a level 0 backup.

> >   runspercycle 1
>
> amanda runs 1 times in the dumpcycle. Means: amanda thinks you start
> only one backup run in a week. This is probably not what you want.

If my dumpcycle was 1 week then you would be correct. However as far
as I can see I actually want a dumpcycle of 1 day (one weekday) and
then only one run per day. If that is the case then I think that the
runspercycle would be correct.

> >   tapecycle 2
>
> amanda knows about 2 available tapes at all.
>
> >   runtapes 1
>
> amanda will use max. 1 tape once per run.
>
> > and changer.conf has:
> >
> >   firstslot=1
> >   lastslot=5
> >   driveslot=0
> >   havereader=1
> >
> > Should I change dumpcycle back to 0 and tapecycle to 1 or what?
>
> What you want may differ, i haven't followed this thread from
> beginning.

That is one of the reason I restated what I was trying to do.

> Let's say you have 20 tapes, then set tapecycle to 20.

I have 5 tapes so I will set tapecycle to 5.

> If you run amanda five times a week, set runspercycle to 5.

Since I actually want a daily level 0 backup I suspect that I should
set dumpcycle back to 0 and runspercycle to 1.

> If all backup data for one run fits to one tape, leave runtapes at 1,
> but it doesn't matter if you set it to 2. amanda will not use the
> second tape for a run, if all data fits onto one tape.

All the data does fit on one tape and there is tons of room to spare
for the foreseeable future so I will leave runtapes at 1.

> However, it takes some experimenting and some weeks of manual
> monitoring to learn and see how amanda works.

This I understand and I am fully prepared to make the necessary efforts
however I am an old dog and it takes longer for me to learn new tricks.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded so far. It has been greatly
appreciated.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com