Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore and multiple tapes

2009-05-06 09:53:43
Subject: Re: amrestore and multiple tapes
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Franck GANACHAUD <franck.ganachaud AT altran DOT com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 09:20:22 -0400
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Franck GANACHAUD
<franck.ganachaud AT altran DOT com> wrote:
> I've been trying to use amrestore but the backup is around 250Go splitted
> over 5 tapes and I'm not successful so far. amrestore is restoring the
> fileset using 10M size files.

First, you should be using a much larger split size than 10M -- you
are wasting a lot of time and tape space with files that small.
Assuming your tapes are ~60G, I would recommend somewhere around 1-3G.

> Problem is amrestore doesn't close 10M files it already restored (can see it
> using lsof) and after some time, I hit the system limit for open files. I
> rose the system limit *4 but I'm not sure it will be enough as 250Go/10Mo is
> a pretty high number.
>
> Is this situation normal ?

If the files are being restored in order, then amrestore should close
the files when it "reassembles" them.  If this is not happening, you
can use the -r flag, and then use dd to strip off the headers and
concatenate the results.

> Btw, is there a way to rebuild indexes from tapes?

Amfetchdump has a -i option to do this.  I'm not sure it was present in 2.5.1.

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com