Amanda-Users

Re: adding tapes to cycle

2009-05-04 19:03:38
Subject: Re: adding tapes to cycle
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Brandon Metcalf <brandon AT geronimoalloys DOT com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 17:38:03 -0400

Brandon Metcalf wrote:
I am currently using the following default settings:

  dumpcycle 4 weeks
  runspercycle 20
  tapecycle 25 tapes

If wanted to, say, have an 8 week dumpcycle could I simply add and label 25
tapes and change the parameters above to

  dumpcycle 8 weeks
  runspercycle 40
  tapecycle 50 tapes

and expect Amanda to do the right thing?

Short answer: Yes. Of course.

A bit more: You can change your configuration and then feed it a few more tapes at a time until you reach your full number of tapes. As long as it has a new labeled tape each time it wants one, it will continue to work. When you run out of new labeled tapes, then there need to be enough tapes that there will be an old one that can be re-used. Typically, you have a few more tapes than specified in tapecycle. If runtapes is greater than 1, then you need more -- see: http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Tapecycle.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator