Amanda-Users

Port ussage

2009-04-17 10:38:23
Subject: Port ussage
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:30:50 -0400
Can someone plaes help me to understand a bit of Amanda internals tat I
have never needed to understand before. but it appears that I do now.

In the amandad debug files on the clients are some references to port
usage. I am thinking that these are TCP, or UDP ports. They seem to be in
the range 1702 through 1712. 1712 seems to always be owned by soehting
called the registrar.

I am running into issues on machine that has 6 spindles. It appears that
this machine is being blocked from running as many dumps in parallel asI
would like because of running out of ports. Is this soemthing I can change?
if so, do I need to recompile both clients, and the server.

What are these ports used for? How many are needed for backing up one
backup set?

programs.