Amanda-Users

Re: increasing tar failures

2009-03-25 17:35:23
Subject: Re: increasing tar failures
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Steve Wray <steve.wray AT cwa.co DOT nz>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:39:42 -0400
The email report should give you the complete output of tar, check the DETAIL section of the report.

Jean-Louis

Steve Wray wrote:
Hi there,

over the last month or so I've been seeing increasing amounts of disk list entries showing this in the amanda report:

FAILED [/bin/tar returned 1]

I've gone to the hosts involved and checked their logs and really thats about as informative as it gets.

I've checked the tar command used on these hosts and run that to hand (sending to /dev/null) and have never seen tar fail yet.

Amanda versions vary a lot here, we have Debian Sarge, Etch and Lenny hosts.

Nothing major has changed with the hosts which have started to show this problem.

There have been no network changes in the form of routers, switches or firewalls.

Can someone please suggest some further diagnostics?

Thanks!