Amanda-Users

Re: Auto amrecover

2009-03-18 23:06:16
Subject: Re: Auto amrecover
From: Nikolas Coukouma <atrus AT zmanda DOT com>
To: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:03:12 -0400
On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 21:59 -0700, fedora wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Long time did not post message here. I was thinking of making Amanda can do
> an auto amrecover by monthly, Actually I have to burn backups into DVD. I
> have /home, /etc, /usr/local and /var/lib/mysql and I have more than 30
> servers. It was very tedious to sethost, setdisk and extract one by one DLE.
>
> Is there any script or anything that can less my job tasks. Thanks.

Unfortunately, amrecover is not script-friendly. I think your options
are:
* use some Expect-like tool
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect
  http://search.cpan.org/~rgiersig/Expect/Expect.pod
* write a script using amfetchdump or amrestore to fetch images and then
extract them

A rewrite of amrecover in Perl is expected "sometime", but I don't think
it will happen for a while because a good number of pieces it needs also
need to be Perl-ified. What sort of interface would be convenient for
you? Would you be willing to do some of the coding for this?

Cheers,
--
        Nikolas Coukouma
        Design Engineer