Amanda-Users

Re: Resuming amanda after 2 week hiatius due to upgrading to F10.

2009-03-08 13:34:53
Subject: Re: Resuming amanda after 2 week hiatius due to upgrading to F10.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:28:49 -0400
On Sunday 08 March 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
>> with the usual results missing for everything because:
>> amreport: ERROR could not open log /usr/local/var/amanda/Daily/log: No
>> such file or directory
>>
>> But it does exist, and this mornings logs are there.  As amanda:
>> ls -l /usr/local/var/amanda/Daily/log returns
>> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda 242040 2009-03-07 04:31 amdump.1
>> -rw------- 1 amanda amanda  20109 2009-03-07 04:31 log.20090307011504.0
>>
>> etc etc.
>>
>> So it looks like 2 problems.  Can this last one be related to this from
>> ChangeLog?
>
>I don't see a file named "log" there.  If the logfile has been renamed
>already, then you need to give amreport the filename of the logfile.

It doesn't grab the most recent one? If not, this is a feature request for it
to do so.  With my ancient. arthritic fingers, about the only way I could do
that would be to locate the file, hi-lite it with the mouse and paste it into
the argument.
=========================
On another front, it worked ok last night, including printing me a report.
What changed?  DamnifIknow.  Then I just tried 2.6.29-rc7 again for about 15
minutes, so be aware there are networking changes afoot, and apparently
selinux related stuffs too.  That 15 minute session means I am going to need
to go around with restorecon and refix a whole bunch of my email tree,
logfile contexts are being changed wholesale.  But the biggest bitch (and that
is not a strong enough word) is that if you want any networking when you
reboot to a 2.6.28.7 kernel, you must exit 2.6.29-rcx with the front panel
reset key, otherwise it disables the ethernet PHY hardware in the shutdown
cycle, and to recover you have to powerdown the machine AND remove the power
cord, and either unplug all the cat5's for 30 seconds (or pull the power plug
on the switch that feeds them for the same length of time) & then plug it all
back in.  The extended, no power anyplace, will reset the network PHY's back
to among the living.  2.6.29-rcx's do seem to know how to re-enable them, but
I'm not convinced 2.6.29 is ready for prime time even at -rc7.  I've had it
booted for maybe 4.5 hours in two sessions now, and it has generally been a
disaster.

Thanks Dustin.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Age before beauty; and pearls before swine.
                -- Dorothy Parker