Amanda-Users

RE: Red Hat amanda question

2009-03-04 11:07:48
Subject: RE: Red Hat amanda question
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
To: "McGraw, Robert P" <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:58:36 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, McGraw, Robert P wrote:

For the OS file systems we use the native backup, which in this case is
dump.

Robert

[Please remember to reply on-list when asking for help.]

I was afraid of that.  dump is not recommended or even expected to work
on Linux.  You need to use the tar dumptype and specify a file path
rather than a device.  The tar will run suid as root and the permissions
problems won't occur.

-Mitch