Amanda-Users

Re: Glibc

2009-02-25 16:03:37
Subject: Re: Glibc
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:01:20 -0500
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM, stan <stanb AT panix DOT com> wrote:
> Now I am worried as it unpacked, I noted a number of files in a directory
> that seemed to pertain to specific machine types. Now I see that the list of
> supported hardware/OS combinations is very limited. I need to make this
> work on HP-UX 10.20 on PA-RISC, and Solaris 5, and 8 on SPARC. It does not
> appear that these hardware/software combinations are supported for glibc.

I know folks who have gotten glib installed on HPUX 11, but not 10.
It's available from SunFreeWare for Solaris 8, but I don't know about
5.  I don't know anything about PA-RISC.

> I don't understand what glibc is, clearly. I thought that it was the libc
> that is used on Linux distributions, but that must not be the case. What
> does it bring to the party that Amanda needs?

That's a common misconception:
 glibc -- GNU implementation of libc
 glib -- basic C utility library developed for the GNOME project
glib provides a whole slew of useful low- and mid-level utilities that
are invaluable for use in Amanda.  It has a nice list of basic data
structures (linked lists, hash tables, dynamically resizable arrays),
some nice string utilities, a limited XML parser, and a basic
implementation of classes and objects.  It has replaced a lot of
pretty bug-ridden handrolled implementations in Amanda.

> And while I am asking, what does pkg-config bring to the part that
> configure does not?

I'm not such a fan of pkg-config, actually.  What it does is supply
the linker/compiler flags that an application needs to use to link to
glib.  This works well on systems where there is only one compiler,
but causes no end of grief on Solaris, where glib may have been built
with one compiler (say, Sun's cc) but Amanda is being built with
another (gcc).  In this case, the compiler flags that pkg-config
supplies are specific to the Sun cc, and gcc chokes on them (the
particularly problematic flag is -mt, which is spelled -pthread in
gcc).

But, then, compiling on Solaris is always an exercise in frustration-management.

Thanks -- these are all good questions and should probably be on
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer